Saturday, October 10, 2009

Feeding of the 500

We had our first feeding today. It was in Nueva Reque (New Reque) where there is an annex that was celebrating it's 6 year anniversary. I don't even have words to explain to you this experience. We started with a children's service at 10am. Then they were to go get their parents and tell them that there was going to be an adult service with a free meal afterwards. First of all, someone got saved at the adult service. Praise the Lord. Then the real work began. After the people of the church in the school and some mothers in the area cooked all morning it was time to serve. A group of us got trays and we would go to the house and load up with plates of food. The people were waiting on a community soccer slab and we took the food to them. Families came in from all directions. Roma Lee kept her eye out and made sure we didn't miss a soul. When the day was done, we learned that we had fed over 500 children!! 500!!! This is the first big scale feeding that I have been a part of. When I took my first tray out and saw the children eating I almost lost it. Like now when I am typing this. I had to go aside and pull it together and remind myself that I had to keep going. It was so moving to see the work of God first hand in that little slum of a village. There aren't words to accurately describe this experience. There are pictures which may help that I will have posted on Facebook. Just absolutely unreal.
After the feeding we came back to the school and put together food boxes with staple foods for 55 families. These will be handed out to the people of the church tomorrow morning. 55 families. Needless to say the workers were weary by the end of the day, but it is definitely worth it. I will let you know how tomorrow's food distribution goes. God is so good. Proverbs 19:21 has become my verse of the trip. We cannot plan anything. God's plans are so much bigger, and they are so much better. I am so happy that I get to be a part of what is happening here.

No comments: